FAME at the AMEA Conference Information for Registrants
Open to High School Juniors and Seniors
Thursday, January 16, 2020
9:00 A.M. – 5:00 P.M.
Renaissance Hotel and Spa in Montgomery, Alabama.
Deadline is January 10, 2020
Future Alabama Music Educators (FAME) is a one-day seminar sponsored by the Alabama Music Educators Association and held in conjunction with the January AMEA Professional Development Conference.
This seminar is for 11th and 12th grade high school students who have an interest in pursuing a career in music education to meet and interact with current music educators.
Did you know that participation in FAME makes you eligible to win a $1000 college scholarship from the AMEA? Learn more.
Hello! You are receiving this email because you or your student entered this email address on their application for the Future Alabama Music Educators sessions at the AMEA Conference in Montgomery. This event was conceived by Past President Becky Rogers and has continue to grow in scope and scale each year. This year we are pleased to offer a diverse exciting schedule of sessions and I hope your students will come away more knowledgable and excited about the possibilities in their future.
Plan to arrive to the Renaissance Montgomery by 8:15 and make your way to the Forum area. We will register students outside this room. Conference attire is appropriate for this event and students might want to bring a notebook and pen for note taking. Reminder that lunch is included in the registration price.I will be managing the event on site, so if you need anything please feel free to text me at 850/496-6977 at any time – before, doing or after. I am attaching a schedule for the day. Registration will take place in the Renaissance Montgomery on the 2nd floor outside of Riverview 3. Please be sure the student knows where they are to be picked up after the event. There are lots of parking areas around the hotel and lunch spots for the parents if you are staying.Please let me know if you have any questions! I look forward to seeing you at the AMEA conference!Susan SmithImmediate Past PresidentAlabama Music Educators AssociationLecturer in Music Education, Troy University
Learn about the FAME Scholarship
The AMEA believes in the importance of developing outstanding future music educators in Alabama. This $1,000 scholarship award recognizes upcoming music educators, who set high standards for themselves and offer inspiration and direction for others. Scholarship recipients will be chosen based on academic and musical achievements, essay content, and strength of recommendations. The winning applicant’s essay will be published in the AMEA magazine, the Ala Breve.
Mail application and supporting materials to:
AMEA Executive Director
1600 Manor Drive NE
Cullman, AL 35055
- The applicant must intend to register as a full-time music education major at an Alabama university in the following fall.
- The applicant must have attended FAME (Future Alabama Music Educators) at an AMEA Professional Development Conference.
- The applicant’s current music teacher must be an AMEA member.
Nominations should be accompanied by the following:
- An essay of no more than 1200 words based upon the following questions: What are the factors that influenced you to become a music educator? Why should all students have access to music education?
- A sealed, official high school transcript.
- At least three letters of recommendation. One must be from a current music teacher and the others can be from anyappropriate source, including a classroom teacher or guidance counselor.
- Application is due by May 31. The AMEA Governing Board will make a decision at the June meeting. Notifications will be made in early July.
- The scholarship will be paid directly to the recipient’s university before the fall semester.
- Award will be presented at the AMEA In-Service Conference and the recipient will present their experience at FAME.