- Alabama Symphony Orchestra
- Band, College, Orchestra, Other
- Posted On:
- January 26, 2018
DescriptionThe Alabama Symphony Orchestra seeks a talented and dynamic conductor for the position of ASO Assistant Conductor and Alabama Symphony Youth Orchestra Music Director. Additionally, the position includes serving as the cover conductor for the ASO and opportunities to conduct the ASO in some education and community concerts. This person may also work with the ASO Chorus.
The ASYO requires a conductor with long-range vision, leadership, and a strong commitment to building the program in the community. As Music Director of the ASYO, this individual will serve as the Youth Orchestra’s principal conductor and oversee all artistic matters for the ensemble, including auditions, rehearsals, and repertoire selection.
● Conduct ASO education, community, or family concerts as requested.
● Be available for media events, speaking engagements, and other activities as determined.
● Assist with production elements such as recordings, multimedia, and other related activities.
● Assist and provide support to the ASO Music Director as needed.
● Serve as the cover conductor for the Music Director, Principal Pops Conductor, and guest conductors for all rehearsals and concerts of the ASO.
ASYO Music Director
● Conduct all rehearsals and concerts of the Alabama Symphony Youth Orchestra as agreed by contract.
● Collaborate with Education Director, Director of Artistic Administration, ASO Music Director, and the ASO Artistic Advisory committee to plan the ASYO concert season. Ensure repertoire is appropriate for the level of the ensemble while also making best use of the ASYO players.
● Determine ASYO rehearsal schedule, number of full rehearsals, and number of sectional rehearsals.
● Oversee student auditions, both for admission to the ensemble and seating placement. Establish audition requirements for all instruments.
● Coordinate rehearsal priorities with all sectional coaches.
● Determine stage set-up for the ensemble and arrange any special needs with the Education Director and/or ASO Production Manager.
● Collaborate with the Education Director, ASO Music Director, ASO Education Committee, and ASYO Parents Organization, and the ASO Artistic Advisory committee in developing long-range artistic plans for the ensemble.
● Serve as an artistic liaison for the ASYO with schools and community music educators.
● Oversee student recruitment in collaboration with the ASO Education Department.
● Help develop the overall public image of the ASYO by playing a visible and active role in the community.
● Study best practices of established youth orchestras and maintain a presence in the national youth orchestra community.
● Substantial conducting experience.
● Graduate Degree in Orchestral/Instrumental conducting preferred.
● Experience conducting youth orchestras or other student ensembles is extremely desirable.
● Thorough knowledge of symphonic repertoire and concert programming.
● Strong leadership and personal communication skills, particularly with young people.
● Strong commitment to music education.
● Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
● Exceptional organizational skills and management ability.
● Must be eligible to work in the United States.
How to Apply
Candidates should submit a letter of interest, current resume, contact information for three professional references, and sample programs for a Young People’s Concert (audience grades 3-6) and a Youth Orchestra Concert. Video materials must be submitted online through video sites such as YouTube, Vimeo, BlipTV, etc. Submissions are also acceptable through cloud services such as Dropbox, Google Drive, iCloud, etc. Video should be a maximum of 30 minutes and should be a close front-view perspective of a recent rehearsal or performance. Candidates should provide a personal, on-camera introduction no longer than one minute.
Please submit ALL materials by email to email@example.com. No hard copy materials will be accepted. Please no phone calls. All materials must be submitted by individual candidates rather than en-masse materials by managers.
All application materials must be received by Wednesday, February 28, 2018.